Several calls were made to the fire brigade at 5:55pm on Monday, 1st April after the fire broke out in the second floor stairwell of the Gilbert Scott building, within the Adam Smith Business School. Four fire engines arrived at the scene. The fire had been successfully distinguished by 6:15pm.
No one was harmed in the incident, but the building has taken some damage. The fire occurred outside the entrance of the new open plan Adam Smith Business School area, which was recently renamed, and marked by a launch, in early February. The affected area has led to no electricity in the adjacent area and the lift being out of order.
A spokesperson for the University of Glasgow said: "The alarm was raised promptly, the fire service was called and the fire was extinguished quickly and did not spread, however it caused considerable damage to the stairwell. Repairs to the area will be carried out as quickly as possible.”
The fire is believed to be the work of willful fire raising. A spokesperson for the Scottish Fire & Rescue Service said: "A joint investigation between the Scottish Fire & Rescue Service and Police Scotland will be conducted into the cause of the fire. While we cannot comment on the specific circumstances surrounding this incident, we would be remis not to point out the vital need for every property to be protected by working smoke alarms."
No related posts found!