Men’s mental health talk to be held by GU Psychology Society

Mental health spelt in scrabble tiles

Credit: pixabay @wokandapix

Hamish Morrison
Investigations Editor

The Glasgow University Psychology Society is to hold an event on the 23rd of February entitled “Men’s Mental Health”.

The event, which will take place in the Boyd Orr Building from 6pm-8pm will feature a talk from suicidologist Professor Stephen Platt of the University of Edinburgh. Professor Platt will discuss his research in the field of men’s mental health, with specific regards to suicide and self-harm.

There will also be a talk from Lindsey Miller of Glasgow-based organisation Time and Space, which provides support for people who self-harm or hear voices, and those who support them. She will discuss the work that Time and Space does for those suffering from mental health issues, with a particular focus on working with men and the issues they most commonly encounter.

The Facebook event notes that there will be an opportunity for questions and discussion with those attending, run by John Murphy of the Health in Mind “Men’s SHARE” (Suicide, Harm, Awareness, Recovery and Empathy) project in Midlothian. CALM (Campaign Against Living Miserably), a men’s mental health charity, will be present to provide additional information.

The description of the event holds that there is “clearly a demand at our university for a more open discussion of men’s mental health and suicide rates”. The event will enforce a safe space policy, and the organisers emphasise that they will “not be tolerating hate or discrimination in any form.”

The organisers have also made it clear that all genders will be welcome. The Glasgow University Psychology Society voiced that the event “is not in response to any previous events. We have noticed that there is a profound interest in this topic from students, so we have invited professionals in the field to share their expertise and have an open discussion with attendees.”

The talks come as part of the society’s “Mental Health Month”, and more speakers are expected to be announced soon, Tickets will be on sale via Eventbrite on Monday 20 February at 6pm, accessible through the Facebook event.