Credit: Joe Elgar

SRC Flatshare back in operation

By Silas Pease

Since the Scottish government’s introduction of phase two in late June, students can again search for places to live through the SRC’s Flatshare database.

The Student’s Representative Council (SRC) announced that students would be able to use its Flatshare database again following Scotland’s move into phase two of easing lockdown restrictions.

With social distancing measures still in place, students are again allowed to take part in viewings of properties and have the freedom to move into new accommodation for the coming academic session, potentially through the use of this database. 

This update came shortly after Scotland moved into phase two of the nationwide lockdown, which saw further restrictions being lifted such as retail shops reopening to the public and the restarting of work in indoor spaces such as factories and research centres. 

In spite of this relaxation, students are still advised to adhere to social distancing measures like social distancing and maintaining hygienic practices. 

Flatshare is an online database for students to use to search for a place to live in while attending the University. Students can either post adverts for available rooms or requests for potential future flatmates to move in with. Users of the site are asked to stay updated about sudden changes related to Covid-19, as this could potentially impede plans for moving into a new property. 

For students who are new to flat-hunting, the website offers a checklist for viewings, as well as links to other useful sources such as government guidelines on phase two and useful information about private renting.Check out their flatshare website here.