Credit: Lisa Paul

What’s on the menu? A run-down of the finest food and drink societies the University has to offer

By Lisa Paul

Lisa Paul takes a look at the varied food and drink opportunities available on campus.

There exists a vast assortment of extracurricular activities on our fine campus: with over 200 different societies and over 50 affiliated sports clubs, the task of choosing one can seem daunting. Whether you are a fresher or a settled student reluctant to sell your soul to a strenuous Glasgow University Sports Association training regime, a food or drink society may be more of your cup of tea, and yes, there is a society for tea. Here’s a run-down of the University’s finest food and drink societies for you to get your teeth into. 

Glasgow University Gin Society (GUGS)

To start, we have the Glasgow University Gin Society. Membership includes discounted entry into all events and access to discounted gin through their collaborations with local distilleries. In addition, you’ll have early access to buy tickets for their annual gin festival through their exclusive mailing list. With regular prize draws held on their social media pages and pub quizzes throughout the year, GUGS could be for you.

Glasgow University Baking Society (GUBS)

Whether you are a novice in the kitchen or you consider yourself the next Mary Berry, the Glasgow University Baking Society takes bakers of all abilities. The team meets on a monthly basis sharing a variety of themed bakes. Last year’s themes have included Christmas bakes from around the world, rainbow bakes for LGBTQ+ History month, and family favourites. The club also holds an annual screening of the Great British Bake Off finale in collaboration with the Queen Margaret Union to raise funds for various HIV charities. GUBS is the perfect place to put your baking abilities to the test.

Glasgow University Wine Society (GUWS)

If your tastes are more refined, you may be best suited to the Glasgow University Wine Society. Popular with post-graduate students, GUWS strives to encourage the appreciation of wine through education and experience. Hosting events on a monthly basis, the theme of each event is generally dedicated to the wines of different countries. They have also been known to hold blind tastings and a fondue night. A trip to a winery is on the cards for the coming year (Covid-19 dependent). If you believe yourself to be an oenophile (lover of wine), you’ll feel at home at GUWS. 

The Glasgow University Cheese Society (GUCS)

Are you a cheese fanatic? If so, The Glasgow University Cheese Society has you sorted. Holding a variety of cheese-themed events throughout the year, they’ll have something to fulfil your cheese needs. There are raffles and quiz nights, plus their Cheese and (C)HIVE matchmaking event where you may find more than just your new cheese of choice.

Glasgow University Tennent’s Lager Appreciation Society (GUTAS)

Finally, we have the Glasgow University Tennent’s Lager Appreciation Society. They do exactly what it says on the tin. GUTAS’s objective is to maintain the lager’s presence on campus through Tennent’s themed socials and giveaways, providing its members with a heavy supply of the golden elixir straight from Glasgow’s Wellpark Brewery. Of late, GUTAS has become the leading lobbying group advocating for the beverage to be sold at Glasgow University Union (GUU), with their petition earning over 500 signatures so far. To obtain your full dose of vitamin T make sure to get involved.