Credit: Chris Arthur-Collins via Unsplash

ScottishPower E-bikes are free to ride Tuesday 22 September

By Matilda Handley

World Car-Free Day hits Glasgow in order to reduce emissions.

Sponsored by Scottish Power, nextbike is offering free hour-long rides on their bikes on  22  September. 

To use this free offer, people will need to enter the code “Carfree1hr” in their nextbike rental app. Each customer can redeem the voucher once.

People are being encouraged to use the bikes instead of driving to mark “World Car-Free Day 2020”.

E-bikes (also known as electric bicycles) are conventional bikes integrated with a motor that take some of the effort out of pedalling for the rider. As these bikes can reach 25km per hour they cover greater distances than bikes typically would with less effort.

Since October 2019, Glasgow has hosted a fleet of 63 nextbike e-bikes.

Samuel Coldham, nextbike UK business development manager, said: “E-bikes are not only great for reducing journey times and taking on steep hills – of which Glasgow has plenty – but they’re also a great way of increasing inclusivity and getting people of all abilities and fitness levels into cycling.”

Dr Sam Gardner, ScottishPower’s Head of Climate Change and Sustainability added: “This is a great way for people to see how e-bikes could work for them as a cleaner and greener mode of transport and gives them the chance to consider making the switch in the longer-term.”

Electric bike rental is not currently covered by regular nextbike memberships. Customers can rent e-bikes using their existing nextbike accounts. Rides are normally charged on a pay-as-you-ride basis at £2 per 20 minutes or £30 per day.