Less than two weeks remain for Scotland’s young artists to enter into The Sound of Young Scotland 2021 award

Successful applicants will receive up to £5,500 to help them launch their debut album

There are less than two weeks left for Scotland’s young artists to enter to win The Scottish Album of the Year (SAY) Award’s new prize: The Sound of Young Scotland 2021.

The Sound of Young Scotland is a new award introduced this year which will leave the successful recipients with up to £5,500 funding to support them through the release of their debut album, alongside a bespoke art prize from The SAY Award Design Commission, and an opportunity to perform at the 2022 final SAY Award ceremony, in front of top music industry figures. 

The new award, which will accompany the main album of the year prize, is being supported by Youth Music and the Youth Music Initiative. The prize winner will be selected by a panel of previous SAY Award Nominees, and will consequently receive help in covering the costs of their debut album, including those relating to production, studio rental, engineers, mixing, mastering and recording expenses. 

To be eligible to apply, performers must be aged 25 or under, or if in a band, the main songwriter must be 25-years-old or younger, and all band members should be under 30. The applicants cannot have previously released an album, and Scotland must have been their “creative base” for the last three years at least. More information on the award and its eligibility criteria can be found here.

Applications will close on Friday 13 August at midnight; to apply, follow the link. The longlist will consist of 20 artists, and will be announced on Thursday 16 September.