Credit: @lauramuiruns

Glasgow graduate Laura Muir wins a silver medal in Tokyo’s Olympics

The 28-year-old vet from Glasgow “gave it everything” to achieve a spot on the podium

Covering 1500 metres with a time of 3:54.50 in the 2021 Tokyo Olympic final, Glasgow graduate and vet, Laura Muir, not only broke her own personal record but created a new national one. Telling The Guardian that she didn’t think she had “ever been so scared” after having previously lost out on podium positions due to falling behind in the final 200m, Muir’s training and dedication paid off, with her second-place finish behind Kenyan runner Faith Kipyegon.

Describing the last part of the race, Muir said that she “gave it absolutely everything”: “I was tightening up so bad. I thought: keep pushing, keep pushing. There have been a lot of sad tears. But now I have silver – and a British record as well.” In 2020, Laura Muir was the fastest female 1500m runner in the world, following her running of sub-four-minute races on three occasions.

Discussing her rival Kipyegon, Muir commented: “She is phenomenal. I’m biased but in my eyes she’s the greatest 1500m runner there has ever been. I don’t think she gets enough credit for the athlete she is. She’s won everything. I have a lot of respect for her and I’m very happy to see her winning an Olympic gold medal and honoured to be behind her in that race.”

Growing up in Milnathort, in Perth & Kinross, Muir’s running experience was initially more farm-based than track. “I remember helping out with the lambing,” she told The Guardian. “We had a great system, me and the farmer: he would drive the quad bike and, at the last minute, I would jump off. I’d catch the lambs, because I was quick, and then we’d spray them… Running came in handy for that.”

The animal-centred childhood fed into another of Muir’s achievements: she is a qualified veterinary surgeon, having graduated from the University of Glasgow in 2018. The University of Glasgow tweeted their support for the alumna, saying: “From the UofG cloisters to the Tokyo 2020 podium, Team UofG to Team GB, you truly are a world changer, Laura. We are so proud of everything you’ve achieved.”