Credit: SRC

The SRC Welcome Week is back!

By Luke Chafer

Rebranded under “UofG Welcome”, the SRC bring a host of in-person and digital events to Glasgow’s students this freshers’ week

Under the new banner of “UofG Welcome”, the SRC has a large host of events planned this week. All students are being targeted this freshers’ week, not just first years, particularly due to the lack of social events on campus over the last 12 months. Building on the success of 2020’s online introductory week, this year will see a blend of online and in-person events.

During the UofG Welcome week, the SRC has expanded its in-person offering. The variety spans its two full days of the Welcome Fair, on Tuesday 14 and Wednesday 15 September – giving students a chance to sign up for one of the 300 affiliated clubs and societies – to the new headphone disco hosted in the cloisters on Thursday 16 and Friday 17 September. As well as the spots filled on the SRC calendar, the affiliated societies are also running a series of events including a Quidditch taster session, to the Drag Lip Sync Battle in the Gilchrist Postgraduate Building, to the Debates x Dialectic Launch Party. 

Mixers and “speed-mating” events are to populate the social calendar over freshers’ week, and a number of online events will also be running, including the Digital Welcome Fair, hosted on online platform “ayda”, which will run until Monday 11 October. 

This year, the SRC has teamed up with GUSA to run the “Freshtival of Sport” at Garscube on Wednesday 15 September, from 11am to 4.30pm. The event will be a festival-style sports event with a range of activities including bubble football and tag archery, alongside “water slides, rounders, food stalls, music and freebies”. Open to incoming students, all participants are instructed to bring along activewear, and a towel.For more information visit the UofG Welcome 2021 website or pop into the SRC Welcome Point at the John McIntyre building on campus.