Credit: Colin D via Unsplash

Glasgow tops numerous university league tables in latest rankings

By Sophie Gorman

Glasgow has improved across the board in The Guardian, The Times, and Quacquarelli Symonds rankings.

The University of Glasgow climbed the ranks of several university league tables this year, with recently released data putting Glasgow at 11th place on The Guardian’sThe best UK universities 2022” rankings, rising one place from the previous year. This puts Glasgow second overall in Scotland, behind the University of St Andrews which comes in third, and ahead of Edinburgh University in 12th position.

In The Times & The Sunday Times “Good University Guide for 2022”, Glasgow was named the Scottish University of the Year. The Editor, Alastair McCall, attributed this to campus upgrades and the university’s pandemic response. Some highlights included positive scores for student satisfaction with their course (ranked 85/100) and satisfaction with teaching (86.1/100). Subject-wise, Glasgow did particularly well in Food Science, Sports Science, and Dentistry, ranking first in all three subjects. It also had 20 subjects ranked within the top five of the chart, and 32 in the top 10. 

In the Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings 2022, the University of Glasgow rose to 86th in the world – moving up six places from 2021 – and to 10th in the UK. 

Both Professor Sir Anton Muscatelli, Principal and Vice-Chancellor of the University of Glasgow, and the First Minister, Nicola Sturgeon, commented on the rankings. Muscatelli congratulated colleagues’ work over the last year, “to ensure a positive student experience under very challenging circumstances” while Sturgeon offered her congratulations to staff and students “lead[ing] the way, not only in Scotland, but on the world stage”, and congratulated the university’s strengths in teaching, student experience and graduate prospects.

The University has also improved on the previous year on the Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) World University Rankings, going from 77 for 2021 to 73 in 2022.