The four members of Bull stand mid-song on stage underneath pink and blue fluorescent lights.
Credit: Luke Chafer

Review: Bull @ The Hug and Pint

By Luke Chafer

90s-inspired indie rockers Bull are joined by a host of Glaswegian artists for an unforgettable night at The Hug and Pint.

Billed as a night with Bull and friends, it didn’t disappoint with a celebratory mood inside the basement of The Hug and Pint where the fellow bands and their pals watched on alongside a near sell-out crowd. 

The first band on stage was Spread Eagle, not the American hard rock band but a Glasgow based female-fronted rock band. Full of eccentricity and the deep notes of a double bass, the band’s experimentation bore (light) shades of Kate Bush. The stand out tune from their set was 11:59. Although, with the early stage time, the room was lacking in support for what was a solid set.

Next up were Dinner Night, another Glasgow band, playing their first ever gig. Their set had an unpolished charm, aided in no small part by the back-up vocals being delivered by a woman who appeared to be a last-minute draft and held a note pad with her cues. Their stand out tune, Airport People, cemented the band as one to keep an eye on. 

After standing in amongst the crowds cheering on their support bands it was time for Bull to grace the stage. The introduction was not a typical dimmed-lights-into-opening-song affair, but instead a heated back and forth with the sound engineer as to why nothing was working. After a deafening white noise filled the room, we were away.

The set opened emphatically with the band’s lead single Green – a melodic feel good track that sent the crowd buzzing. Although I initially questioned why they started with their most well known tune, as the gig went I realised the decision allowed me to greater appreciate their other tracks rather than just anticipating that 3-minute climax. 

Bull continued in this relentlessly upbeat fashion, following up with hit singles Love Goo and Eugene, before my personal favourite Bedroom Floor, the opening track of their album Discover Effortless Living. Frontman Tom Beer filled the room not only with his amazing vocals and enthusiastic tromboning, but also his infectious charisma, even leading a small interlude where he passed potatoes out to the crowd. 

They rounded off their planned set by introducing an unreleased track, I’m Stuck, as their final song of the night, which still managed to get the crowd jumping despite the unfamiliarity. In true Glaswegian fashion, chants of “one more tune” were bellowed out before the band quickly gave way and played the much requested Disco Living. Bull’s set was incredible; a tight live sound, full of exuberance, and overall just great fun.