An empty basketball court, with stands in the foreground and background, and basketball hoops on the left and right.
Credit: Daniel via Flickr

Glasgow Rocks Rock On

By Charlie Curtis

Looking forward to the return of the Glasgow Rocks this autumn? Charlie Curtis let’s us know who the ones to watch are this season.

On a mission to bounce back from a disappointing campaign in last year’s British Basketball League (BBL), the Glasgow Rocks have hit the ground running with an assertive victory in the final of the Scottish Invitational Cup. The Rocks’ forceful offence, led by new signing Jaycee Hilsman, proved too much for the Falkirk Fury in a blowout game that ended 108-36.

It’s been a busy summer for the Rocks as they’ve tried to upgrade a roster that won only four out of 30 games last season. They ended the season with the lowest two-point percentage and assists per game in the league. It was clearly the offensive and creative side of their game that they were looking to improve on as they headed into the transfer window. 

American seemed to be the criteria for recruitment as the Rocks have seen four players from across the pond enter their dressing room. The most promising of these appears to be Jaysee Hilsman, a 6ft7 forward who spent last year in the Finnish league averaging 25.5 points, 10.2 rebounds and 3.9 assists per game. The stats show him to be a versatile player who can bring it on the offensive and defensive end. In fact, he’s already made a strong start, picking up the Most Valuable Player award in the final of the Scottish Invitational Cup.

The Rocks also made improvements to their backcourt through new point guard Jordan Johnson. A former G-League winner, Johnson averaged 19.2 points and 6.3 assists last year in the Kosovan league. The Rocks will be hoping his eye for a pass can help the team out this year. Another exciting addition is Jordan Harris, a shooting guard who heads into the league having averaged 7.1 points and four rebounds last year. With experience playing alongside NBA first pick, Anthony Edwards, at the University of Georgia, Harris has been credited by Head Coach, Gareth Murray, for his effort and speed. The familiar face of Ali Fraser has also returned to the Emirates Arena after stints in France and Leicester.

With what seems to be a fresh and energized start, the Rocks now look forward to the BBL Championship in late October with the opening fixture against the London Lions on 31 October, supporters can buy tickets on the Glasgow Rocks website (glasgowrocks.co.uk) with all games being played at the Emirates Arena in Newbank.