The Main building of the University with the South of Glasgow behind it
Credit: University of Glasgow

Principal announces external review of University sexual violence handling processes

Following recent investigative podcast content relating to sexual misconduct by UofG staff, the Principal takes action.

Professor Sir Anton Muscatelli, Principal of the University, announced this afternoon that an independent external examination into University processes regarding the reporting of gender-based violence and sexual harassment has been initiated. This follows the publication of Al Jazeera’s two-year investigation into sexual misconduct at UK universities that made allegations of grooming and sexual harassment at Glasgow. 

In a statement emailed out to all students at the University, the Principal said: “The safety and wellbeing of everyone in our University of Glasgow community has always been, and always will be, my top priority.

“I am deeply sorry that any member of our community has been subjected to abuse or harassment and to hear that any student or colleague has felt unsafe or unsupported during their time at the University.

“I have listened to you and recognise that we need to work harder to prevent abuse, to educate, and to build upon the support we provide to survivors of gender-based violence and other forms of harassment.

“We can, and will, do more.”

He continued: “I am initiating a full, independent investigation and review of our colleague and student complaints procedures and support networks, to ensure we do everything we can to safeguard our community.” 

The Principal has pledged to share further information “as soon as possible” and to commit to “act upon any recommendations made”.

Al Jazeera’s podcast series – which has another University of Glasgow-based episode coming out on 2 Nov – contains some of a number of revelations about sexual misconduct taking place at the University, or on University campus. Paddy Everingham, former GUSA President, was recently exposed by a BBC investigation and Disclosure documentary for reportedly sexually harassing and/or assaulting a number of women at the University. The Glasgow Guardian previously wrote about a mishandling of one student’s experience of sexual assault on campus, and last April conducted a student survey on safety on campus which revealed that 91.3% of participants felt the University could do more to protect its population against gender-based violence. 

If you have been affected by any of the above issues, Rape Crisis Scotland provide both telephone and email support. 

If you would like to get in touch regarding anything we have reported on above, please email [email protected].