Credit: Lucy Dunn

Police expect up to 300 additional arrests a day during COP26

By Athina Bohner

10,000 police are expected to be placed in Glasgow throughout COP26 as arrests are predicted to rise.

With COP26 taking place in Glasgow this week and next the police have warned of up to 300 arrests in response to the large number of protests that will take place alongside the conference. It is expected that as many as 10,000 police officers will be stationed in the city every day in what will be the largest deployment of armed officers ever in Scotland.

According to a senior police source: “We have no clear idea of the amount of trouble protesters drawn to the conference will generate, but it is likely to have a significant impact. Some estimates suggest we will have 150-300 additional arrests per day, which would strain our system.”

In order to prepare for the expected influx of detained suspects, police officers have told The Times that Glasgow’s detention cell capacity had been maximised, as well as in numerous strategic locations across the UK. Will Kerr, deputy Chief Constable of Police Scotland, has warned that “this is definitely not the year to be engaged in any disorder”.

A host of events planned by activists will take place during COP26. The Global Day of Action for Climate Justice, led by the COP26 Coalition on 6 November, is predicted to attract 150,000 protestors to the streets of Glasgow. A march for Scottish independence is also planned for 5 November. 

In anticipation of activists being arrested the Scottish Community & Activist Legal Project has produced COP26 bustcards which inform you of your legal rights and what to do if arrested while protesting.