Credit: Ross Sneddon via Unsplash

Subway extends Sunday timetable for duration of COP26

By Jamie McGuire

Subways will begin at 08:00 and run until 22:00 for the next two Sundays while the climate conference takes place in Glasgow.

Strathclyde Partnership for Transport (SPT) has extended the timetable of the Glasgow subway service for the duration of the COP26 summit being held in the city from 31 October to 12 November. 

Subways over the fortnight will begin earlier and run later than usual on Sundays, when the normal timetable runs from 10:00 to 18:12.  On both Sunday 31 October and Sunday 7 November, commuters will be able to catch the subway from 08:00 to 22:00. The hours for the Monday-Saturday service will remain the same, which operates from 06:30 to 23:40.

In addition, Buchanan Bus Station Edinburgh stances will be open all night for any delegate wishing to travel to Edinburgh. SPT have made the extensions to ensure that everyone who needs to travel around the city during the conference is able to. 

The additional Sunday services attracted some controversy from Glaswegians who have been requesting a later Sunday service for some time.

Travel disruption is to be expected while COP26 takes place. Road closures have been in place from 23 October and will remain until 14 November, affecting the Clydeside Expressway, the Clyde Arc and Lancefield Quay.