Credit: Glasgow Live

Fantastic Feasts and Where to Find Them

By Charlotte Christian

We may be spoiled for choice for eateries in Glasgow, but finding sometimes it’s worth looking harder for the best.

A post-lockdown Glasgow means getting back out there and eating our way through a city that offers something for everyone. From food truck falafels to more of a fine dining experience, here are a few of the city’s best eateries.

Rafa’s Diner

1103 The Hidden Lane, Argyle Street, G3 8ND

Head down the Hidden Lane just off Argyle Street and stumble upon this tiny restaurant serving South-western American Food, think Baja fish tacos for £3.25, mushroom burritos for £9.50, and not to mention the various specials on offer. It is worth mentioning that it’s tacos only from 12-4pm Wednesday-Sunday, with a full menu available from 5-10pm. The staff are lovely, and the diner has a really relaxed, friendly vibe about it. So why not pop down and grab a taco for lunch in the park next time the sun is out.

Mikaku

45 Queen Street, G1 3EF

You would not expect to find a slice of Japan down the road from Queen Street Station, yet stepping into Mikaku, you are met by friendly staff leading you to tables lying under lean-to roofs strung with neon lights and lanterns. Whilst the dining room may be reminiscent of a Tokyo food market, the food is a tribute to traditional Izakaya-style dining. Dishes arrive as and when they are ready and it’s a good idea to order several small plates. The gyoza dumplings or the salt and chilli tebasaki wings are a safe bet, the Tonkatsu spicy pork ramen is a favourite but there are also many vegan options (almost half the menu). All in all, Mikaku offers colourful flavours for excellent prices.

Kimchi Cult

14 Chancellor Street, G11 5RQ

What was once a London-based food stall is now a 5-minute walk from the university and located just off Byres Road. Serving Korean inspired fast food; kimchi burgers, Korean fried chicken/tofu and bibimbap, it’s a great option for lunch or a quick bite to eat. The kimchi is handcrafted from a recipe handed down generations through Korean matriarchs, used in a fusion of western and Korean flavours. 

Eighty Eight

88 Dumbarton Road, G11 6NX

Eighty eight is the perfect place for a fresh, tasty meal, with an ever changing menu based around seasonal and local produce. If that doesn’t invite you in, perhaps the handmade tagliatelle hanging in the window will. The food is interesting and delicious and served quickly from the open kitchen an arms-length away. Although dishes range from about £6-£11, it is recommended to order 2-3 per person, we ordered two each and with a glass of wine, it worked out to £15. 

Mrs Falafel

1 Ashley Street, G3 6DR

What is quickly becoming a foodie favourite, this freshly made falafel is a must-try for everyone. Expertly made to the family recipes of the founders’ mum, the falafel (£4.50) and lamb kofta wraps (£6.50) are fresh and flavourful. Earlier this year the takeaway launched a Feed Glasgow campaign, handing out care boxes to Glasgow’s homeless during the pandemic. So definitely a worthy place to try!