Credit: CIHScotland via Twitter

Glasgow University master’s student wins prestigious prize in housing sector

By Kate McIntosh

Evie Copland was awarded the Malcolm Smith Memorial Award for her academic work in the housing sector.

Evie Copland, an MSc student in housing studies at the University of Glasgow, has won the prestigious Malcolm Smith Memorial Award. The prize is given by the Chartered Institute of Housing (CIH) for the best piece of housing law or policy work produced during the last academic year by a student in Scotland. 

Copland studied journalism at the University of Cumbria before working for the Dumfries and Galloway Housing Partnership for a decade, winning the Bob Allan Young Achiever in Housing Excellence prize in 2014. Copland also began working as a Regulation Analyst for the Scottish Housing Regulator this July, and has been a Board Member at CIH Scotland for over five years. 

Her award-winning work examines the changing role of social housing over the last century. The student described winning the award as “an amazing surprise”, and has said: “I get up and come to work every day to play my part in improving housing in Scotland.” 

Dr. Craig Gurney, a lecturer in Housing Studies at the University, congratulated Copland and said he had “no doubt that Evie will go on to have an incredibly successful career in the sector”. 

The Award is given in memory of the late Malcolm Smith, who worked in housing management in Scotland for 60 years and died in 2008. Copland won £100 in cash along with the trophy.