Laura Muir, Womens 1500 Meters, 2016 British Athletics Championships, Alexander Stadium, Perry Barr, Birmingham, UK
Credit: SJM 1974 via Flickr

Success for Laura Muir at the Scottish Athletic Awards

By Claire Thomson

It’s been a year to remember for University of Glasgow alumna, Laura Muir, but the celebrations are still far from over. 

On Saturday 9 October, the 1500m Olympic silver medalist added another award to her collection as she won the 2021 4J Studios Scottish Athlete of the Year. Winning the title for the fourth time (2015, 2016, 2018 and 2021), Muir beat fellow Olympic medallist, Josh Kerr, as well as training partner, Jemma Reekie, and distance runner, Eilish McColgan. But the success didn’t stop there as Laura Muir’s coach, Andy Young, claimed Performance Coach of the Year – a worthy victory considering that athletes couldn’t succeed so well without their coaches.

Stepping up next to Laura on the night winning Para Athlete of the Year was Owen Miller. Following his gold medal at the Paralympic Games in Tokyo this summer, he became the fifth different athlete to win the award in the last six years. What was funny was that Muir and Miller had begun their athletic careers together at the same small club in Fife, over 15 years ago. 

This ceremony and awards night for Scottish Athletics came after a very exciting announcement from Team Scotland, who confirmed their first six athletes for the 2022 Commonwealth Games in Birmingham. With less than 300 days to go, Laura Muir will be joined by fellow Scots Josh Kerr, Jake Wightman, Eilish McColgan, Jemma Reekie and Andy Butchart, following their successful performances in Tokyo. 

Having missed out on the Gold Coast in 2018 to concentrate on veterinary medicine exams, Muir has her goals set on a medal in Birmingham next year. She said: “I’m excited about what is coming up in 2022 and, as always, the hard work starts at this time of year. You have to put in strong winter training to feel the benefit of the following track season.” 

It’s been a fantastic year so far for Scottish Athletics and Laura Muir, and we look forward to what success they both can bring going forward next year.