Credit: Ollie Rudden

SWG3 and UofG reveal new public art mural from graffiti artist Peeta

By Albert Tait

Italian artist Peeta won an international competition supported by SWG3 and had his piece revealed and displayed at the James McCone Smith Learning Hub.

The University of Glasgow this week unveiled their new stunning mural in the James McCune Smith Learning Hub. 

The futuristic artwork, designed by Italian artist Peeta, was the result of an international competition run by SWG3. Artists from around the world submitted their ideas, with Peeta’s 3D design declared the winner.

Commenting on Facebook and Instagram, Peeta said: “Finally after about two years I could complete this project, because of the pandemic and all the limitations on traveling this project kept on hold for a long time.

“The design is slightly old but I kept faith that one day I could paint it, and here you go! It was quite a challenge to paint on those porous broads, they were sucking in so much paint! And the architecture was quite complex to be able to get up there. Anyway after all the challenges finally it’s done and I’m very happy with it.”

Peeta, whose real name is Manuel Di Rita, is a graffiti artist based in Venice, Italy and has been an artist in graffiti since 1993 and has participated in various art shows and festivals around the world. To find out more information about Peeta and his work, click here.

The mural can be seen on the inside wall of the James McCune Smith Learning Hub, which is open to all students.