Credit: University of Sydney via Facebook

University of Glasgow signs new partnership with University of Sydney in the field of global health

By Janka Deák

The new partnership comes as the collaboration between the two universities, which began in 2018, comes to an end.

The renewal of partnership between the University of Glasgow’s College of Medical, Veterinary and Life Sciences (MVLS) and the Charles Perkin Centre at the University of Sydney is expected to facilitate cross-institutional collaboration on the improvement of global health.

The renewal of the partnership was announced by the Dean for Global Engagement at Glasgow on 26 October. It was confirmed by the Office of Global Engagement at Sydney University the following day, which stated on Twitter that “the next five years will see significant commitment between both institutions on collaborative projects”.

The universities have been collaborating across research, teaching and academic exchange since the beginning of their partnership in 2018. 2021 marks the end of their three-year joint Partnership Collaboration Award, under which each institution allocated A$100,000 (£56,000) annually to support five joint projects or collaborative activities each year. The signing of this new Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) marks the beginning of the next stage in the partnership between the two universities.

The signal of increased dedication to extended cooperation comes as UofG students were notified by email on 27 October, that the University of Sydney would be unable to receive exchange students in the 2022-23 academic year. This cancellation has come after years of partnership, and will affect the opportunities of students looking to do a year abroad for their course.

There is still a wide variety of options available to students wishing to do a year or term abroad in Australia. The University of Glasgow is partnered with eight other Australian universities, including the University of Melbourne, the University of Adelaide and the Queensland University of Technology.