The Main building of the University with the South of Glasgow behind it
Credit: University of Glasgow

UofG Centre for Quantum Computing receives funding in two new projects

By Denver Correia

The University is part of a £6.5 million consortium and £5.7 million research project.

Two new projects based at the University of Glasgow’s Centre for Quantum Computing, launched in September which aims to build on the University’s expertise and experience as one of the largest quantum centres in the UK, have recently received funding. 

The first proposal is part of a £6.5 million consortium funded by Innovate UK. The University is part of a seven-member consortium, led by sureCore, an intellectual property company. University of Glasgow spinout company, Semiwise, is also involved. 

The aim of the project is to develop advanced cryogenic semiconductors intellectual property cores, thus furthering the development of quantum computing. A semiconductor intellectual property core, IP core, or IP block is a reusable unit of logic, cell, or integrated circuit layout design that is the intellectual property of one party. These would then be available under license for companies, to create their own Cryo-CMOS chip solutions using it, feasibly turbo charging them with a competitive edge in the world of Quantum Computing.

Professor Martin Weides, Professor of Quantum Technologies, said: “The development of cryoelectronics for quantum computing combines scientific challenge, intellectual beauty, and practical utility. The university is an internationally recognised centre of excellence in quantum technology, from fundamental understanding through to translating world-changing technologies to industry, and our Centre for Quantum Technology plays a fundamental role in the UK National Quantum Technology Programme.”

Initial steps of research including the modelling of how transistors work have already been instigated by a University of Glasgow spin-out Semiwise, and other quantum computing and microelectronic research groups at the university. It is expected that this project could aid the current growth of quantum computing organisations in the UK by making cryo-IP devices available, possibly advancing the nation’s competence in quantum computing. 

The second proposal is funded by UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) and supervised by Quantum Motion. Named Altnaharra, it is a three-year project worth £5.7 million working on innovating cryogenic chips for integrated control and readout of qubits. The five-consortium team includes the National Physical Laboratory, the UK’s national measurement institute, and Oxford Instruments, a world-leading supplier of deep cryogenic cooling equipment. 

This project is projected to help realise an integrated fault-tolerant quantum computer, by providing a scalable method to address and read out qubits, with the results being compatible with a range of leading qubit technologies. 

Professor Martin Weides, Head of the Quantum Circuits Group, said: ‘“Our project is critical to positioning the UK at the forefront of quantum computing. The integrated cryoCMOS electronics will serve a large number of quantum computing platforms and increase their technological readiness level. Our consortium is uniquely positioned to successfully deliver this project.”