Credit: Kaukab Stewart

MSP supports UofG’s carbon neutrality commitment in Scottish Parliament

By Athina Bohner

MSP Kaukab Stewart lodged a motion in Scottish Parliament to recognise and support the University of Glasgow’s commitment to achieving carbon neutrality by 2030.

On Monday 15 November, Kaukab Stewart, the Member of the Scottish Parliament for Glasgow Kelvin (SNP), lodged a parliamentary motion promoting UofG’s “Glasgow Green” report, which outlines the university’s pledge to become carbon neutral by 2030. Stewart’s motion was met with support from numerous MSPs, including Paul Sweetney, Evelyn Tweed, and Jackie Dunbar.

The motion states that “the Parliament welcomes the University of Glasgow’s commitment to achieving carbon neutrality by 2030; understands that this commitment will work in conjunction with the university becoming the first in Europe to fully divest from fossil fuel industry-based companies [and] commends the strategy for setting practical actions on how the university aims to reduce its emissions, from improving energy efficiency by developing lighting and insulation solutions to installing solar panels and water source heat pumps in campuses”.

In response to the motion, UofG Government Relations tweeted: “Many thanks to our local MSP @kaukabstewart.” Stewart replied that “it was a privilege”, adding that she is looking forward to supporting UofG’s “significant commitment”. Moreover, she concluded the motion by stating that “[the Scottish Parliament] wishes the University of Glasgow every success in meeting what it sees are these vital targets”.

Published a year after the university declared a Climate Emergency in 2019, the report “Glasgow Green: the University of Glasgow’s Response to the Climate Emergency” aims to provide a comprehensive framework for achieving carbon neutrality by 2030. The 11-page report focuses on engaging sustainably with the community on and off-campus, promoting energy efficiency, implementing local climate policies, improving its waste-reducing initiatives, and establishing effective partnerships. In addition to discussing its aim of attaining net-zero carbon by 2030, the report also acknowledges the university’s progress so far, as from 2015/2016 to 2018/19, its carbon footprint has decreased by 13.27%.

To find out more about sustainability at UofG, please click here.