The Main building of the University with the South of Glasgow behind it
Credit: University of Glasgow

UofG wins at Times Higher Education Awards

By Ashmita Shanthakumar

The University won Knowledge Exchange/Transfer Initiative of the Year for establishing the UK’s biggest coronavirus testing centre.

The University of Glasgow was announced the winner of the Knowledge Exchange/Transfer Initiative of the Year for its Lighthouse Laboratory, the biggest coronavirus testing centre in the UK. 

The Lighthouse Laboratory was created in the University’s clinical innovation zone and has conducted more than 13 million tests for the coronavirus. The judges had commented that the laboratory had become a “crucial resource in the UK’s response to the Covid-19 pandemic”, and were impressed by how the University had worked with public and private sectors to create the lab.

UofG worked with BioAscent, a drug discovery company and the University of Dundee’s Drug Discovery Unit to create the lab. The Lighthouse Laboratory has also created employment for around 650 people, re-skilling a workforce that was impacted by the pandemic, something the judges also remarked on. 

The University of Glasgow was also commended STEM Research Project of the Year, coming in second place to the University of Oxford.

The Times Higher Education awards, dubbed the “Oscars of Higher Education”, are in their 17th year and include 20 categories of awards that cover a range of university activities.