A white desk with a home pc on top, surrounded by plants and books on matching white shelves
Credit; Slava Keyzman via Unsplash

Switching from studying to snoozing

By Claire Thomson

Sports Editor Claire Thomson discusses how we can transform our bedrooms from a stressful work environment to a tranquil space.

Over the past 18 months, we have come to resent our rooms more and more. It often feels as though we are living our lives purely from this box, doing everything from eating, and sleeping, to studying, and socialising. It is no longer the relaxing space that it once was. Now more than ever before, we must find a way to switch off and think clearly again in the comfort of our own bedroom.

When space is limited it can be hard to separate the room for different purposes, therefore we must be creative and find innovative ways to trick our brains into relaxing. Many of these are very simple and not time consuming for the end of a busy day when you just don’t feel like doing anything. 

“When space is limited it can be hard to separate the room for different purposes…”

Firstly, a switch in lighting can change the mood so quickly. It is more than likely your brain will associate harsh desk lamps and bright lights with stress, concentration and tension. By removing these, automatically you will start to calm down and unwind. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with a basic set of fairy lights or LEDs to destimulate the mind and create a stress-free zone. Not only do fairy lights provide soft lighting to aid relaxation but they also look aesthetically pleasing, and they fit most tastes so won’t stand out like a sore thumb in your bedroom.

We’ve all heard the saying: “tidy home, tidy mind”. For some, this is the key to releasing stress at the end of a long day. Personally, I’m not someone who is that bothered by mess or clutter, however, I do like to be organised and plan ahead. For many people, the key to creating a relaxing space is to put the textbooks and notepads out of sight, whereas for me, I prefer to have everything I need for the next day placed on my desk or packed in my bag ready for the morning before I breathe easy. This means that I don’t have to worry about where things are and can go to bed knowing that I am organised and good to go. 

Moving to university can be a challenge, and it can be difficult to leave behind the familiarity of home. In my opinion, the warmer that we make our student room feel, and the less empty and stark it is, the more we will be able to relax. Bare walls and few soft furnishings will give your room a classroom or study pod feel, as there is nothing personal or comforting. It absolutely does not have to be showstopping interior decorating, but even just a few photos or prints, some cushions, a rug, or even a plant or two, can add that homely feeling to what would be a very cold environment. That said, these things can also cause distractions and provide a method of procrastination, so it might be a good idea to dedicate an empty space, where your desk is, for example, to avoid stress later on, when you realise you’re a little behind on work.

There’s no set method to help you relax, and everyone is different. But, remember it is important to have a space that you can relax in, wherever that may be, and however you create it.