Credit: Claire Thomson

GUFC advance to first round of Scottish Cup

By Claire Thomson

Fresher Weir makes strong Scottish Cup debut as Sisi and Davidson secure home victory for Glasgow University in the qualifiers for the Scottish Cup.

Two goals in the first 20 minutes of the match were enough for Glasgow University to secure victory against Golspie Sutherland in the qualifiers for the Scottish Cup at home on Saturday 27 August. Wanting to take control of the match from the beginning, the university side were hungry for a win after a four-match losing streak and continuous bouts of injury already this season.

Antonio Sisi’s seventh-minute strike after being tackled in the early minutes of the match was the first indication that Glasgow University meant business and were desperate to reach the first round of the Scottish Cup for the second year in a row. However, following a stream of strong shots going wide by Jonny Baxter, it was super striker Calum Davidson’s front post run in the 19th minute assisted by Captain Robbie Smith that gave the team confidence for the remainder of the match.

Golspie’s desperation for a comeback towards the end of the first half resulted in both red and yellow cards for the away side. Already trailing by two goals and now a man down, if the Highland League team fancied their chances for a win, it was going to have to be a ruthless second half.

Slack play and a lack of rhythm in the second half allowed the home side to protect the 2-0 score. Some strong attacks from the Uni around the 73rd minute threatened a bigger goal difference but having conceded two early on, Golspie’s keeper had stepped up his game, making a series of strong saves and compensating for some poor defence on the away side.

With all the substitutes getting the opportunity to take to the pitch for a chance to score in the closing minutes of the game, Glasgow University’s spirits were high as they sealed the victory at the Excelsior Stadium in Airdrie in front of friends and family, to qualify for the first round of the Scottish Cup.
Newly appointed manager Mark Adams was full of praise for his first team as they now begin their Scottish Cup bid, with sights set on bettering last year’s performance.

“I’m really happy with the result. It’s a great competition for the Uni to be involved in and to win today and get into the first round, is a real bonus,” said the former Assistant Manager of Stirling University Football Club.

“We’re an attacking team, we play attacking football so after the two goals it was all about game management: keeping control of the ball where possible and defending sensibly.”

However, despite goals from Sisi and Davidson to secure the win, it was 18-year-old incoming Fresher, Adam Weir, that Adams confidently stated as his Player of the Match. Having only ever played youth level at his home club Spartans in Edinburgh, the youngster barely put a foot out of place, making his Scottish Cup debut.

Weir said: “I think it was our best performance since I joined the team around a month ago. Everyone played really well, which was good to see, and I thought I had my best performance since I joined the Uni. I’ve played three games so far and I thought it was my best game. It’s good to have a good bunch of players as well because everyone’s really supported me and the other new boys and now, we’re getting used to playing with the new team.

“It was a great experience to play in my first Scottish Cup game. My dad was more excited than I was because he never reached that level, so he was buzzing and came to watch the match. He’s really proud of me and it’s a special thing for me to do because this is the best tournament that anyone at my level will ever play.

“My goal for this year is to play as many minutes as I can at as good a level as I can, so ideally as many minutes in the first team, which I know will be a big ask for all the new Freshers with so much competition for places. As a team, we want to challenge as high as possible in the league and move upwards in the Scottish Cup as well if we could.”

With a Scottish Cup win already in the bag for this season and university now commencing again for a new academic year, all eyes will be on Adams and his team. Glasgow University next make the journey up to Forres Mechanics Football Club in the first round of the Scottish Cup.