Credit stux via Pixabay

What’s on in Glasgow this month?

By Jeevan Farthing

Our Culture Editor brings you the highlights of what’s happening in the city.

Moving to Glasgow affords you the opportunity to immerse yourself in the plethora of cultural delights this city has to offer. Here are some of the following month’s offerings, hopefully providing a balance of both interesting and affordable events.

ART

ALASDAIR GRAY’S LANARK | HUNTERIAN GALLERY | UNTIL OCTOBER 2ND | FREE

Marks the 40th anniversary of the publication of Gray’s first novel, Lanark: A Life in Four Books. Uncovers how Lanark was made through Gray’s own artworks and manuscripts.

CONVERSATIONS ABOUT ART AND EXILE | TRAMWAY | UNTIL SEPTEMBER 24TH | FREE An outdoor photographic exhibition investigating the experiences of Scotland-based artists in ‘exile,’ recounts their lived experiences and aspirations.

PANDEMIC | GLASGOW GALLERY OF PHOTOGRAPHY | UNTIL SEPTEMBER 24TH | FREE Images from photographers around the world; moments from the COVID-19 pandemic.

BOOKS

CREATIVE CONVERSATIONS: GWENDOLINE RILEY | YUDOWITZ BUILDING AT WOLFSON MEDICAL SCHOOL | SEPTEMBER 22ND | FREE Joining this community building event is Gwendoline Riley, the author of My Phantoms, First Love, which was shortlisted for the Women’s Prize for Literature and the Dylan Thomas Prize (the ‘Creative Conversations’ series also includes events with Olivia Laing, Barbara Jenkins and Christie Williams).

FEMINIST BOOK CLUB | MITCHELL LIBRARY | SEPTEMBER 20TH | FREE Reading ‘Against The Loveless World’ by Susan Abulhawa.

CLUB NIGHTS

ABBA DISCO WONDERLAND | SWG3 | SEPTEMBER 16TH | £16.95 ABBA tribute night especially popular with freshers.

HORSE MEAT DISCO AND OOFT! | BERKELEY SUITE | SEPTEMBER 17TH | £10.00 Starting their disco nights on New Year’s Day at The Eagle in Vauxhall in 2004, Horse Meat Disco come to Glasgow as they celebrate their eighteenth year.

ULTRAMARINE PLUS FAILED SYSTEM TEST | GLAD CAFE | SEPTEMBER 24TH | £10.00 Electronic duo combining techno, house and ambient sounds.

FILM AND TV

FILM ART BY UKRAINE CINEMOVEMENT FREEFILMERS | CCA | SEPTEMBER 28TH | PAY WHAT YOU CAN Originally from Mariupol, exploring urban transformations in East Ukraine, researching working-class creativity and the industrial past and present of post-socialist cities. Proceeds from this event will go to charitable causes in Ukraine.

THE AGE OF INNOCENCE 4K SCREENING | GLASGOW FILM THEATRE | SEPTEMBER 19TH | £7.90 Part of a monthly screening of Martin Scorsese films.

THE CAMERA IS OURS: BRITAIN’S WOMEN’S DOCUMENTARY MAKERS | KELVIN HALL | SEPTEMBER 21ST | FREE Highlights the work of Britain’s pioneering women documentary makers through five short films.

THEATRE

BEYOND THE RAINBOW | WEBSTER’S | OCTOBER 8TH | FROM £13.50 Musical covering Judy Garland’s journey to stardom – including the influence of Louis C Myer and the MGM Magnate – as well as what brought her to her downfall.

CELTIC THE MUSICAL | SEC ARMADILLO | SEPTEMBER 15TH TO 24TH | FROM £22.70 Starts from the origin of the football club by Brother Walfrid, up through Willie Maley’s legendary successes as manager, Jimmy McGrory’s scoring successes and finally Brendan Rodgers’ time as manager.

ED GAMBLE: ELECTRIC | PAVILLION | SEPTEMBER 18TH | £20.00 Tour of comedian Ed Gamble, who has appeared on Mock the Week, Live At the Apollo and Would I Lie To You, and is host of Taskmaster the Podcast.
THE CHER SHOW | KING’S | SEPTEMBER 27TH TO OCTOBER 1ST | FROM £13.00 Three West End stars play Cher, telling the story of her rise to fame.