Credit: Geograph

Òran Mór bought by the Scotsman Group.

By Keir Lynn

The Scotsman Group, formerly known as the G1 Group, has purchased the Òran Mór located on Byres Road in Glasgow.

The company is a Glasgow-based hospitality group owned by Stefan King, which has acquired various businesses across Scotland overtime. Its portfolio includes the Scotsman Hotel in city centre Edinburgh as well as the Hillhead Bookclub on Vinicombe Street. The company expressed their elation regarding their latest investment: “We are delighted to confirm that Scotsman Group have invested in Skerryvore Ltd, the company which owns and operates Òran Mór in Glasgow’s West End.”

The Òran Mór is the quintessential example of what Glasgow’s West End has to offer, with its collection of venues for events such as weddings, graduation balls and ceilidhs. The historic building was formerly owned by the Kelvinside Parish. The church’s legacy still prevails through the grand ceiling mural, painted by Alasdair Gray, displayed in the building’s auditorium. The painting is one of the largest public art pieces in Scotland. 

The Òran Mór was established by Colin Beattie of Skerryvore Ltd almost 20 years ago. Mr Beattie refurbished the building in 2002 and opened it up for business in 2004. The company dedicated itself to establishing the business as an iconic West End bar, restaurant and music venue.