Credit: Downing Street/Scottish Government

Double-booked: Gordon Brown and Humza Yousaf to speak at UofG on same day

By Odhran Gallagher

The First Minister and former Prime Minister are both planning separate visits to the University later this month.

Gordon Brown is planning to attend the University of Glasgow on the same day that First Minister of Scotland, Humza Yousaf, also intends to visit campus. Both entirely separate events are scheduled to take place on 29 September, with Brown speaking at 12:15pm and Yousaf at 3:30pm. 

Gordon Brown will be speaking at Hunter Halls, in an event hosted by the College of Social Sciences which will promote his new book Permacrisis: A plan to fix a Fractured World. Brown will appear in conjunction with his co-author Nobel Laureate Michael Spence. The event is billed as a discussion about “their provocative plan to prevent crises and set the world on a better and fairer course”. Gordon Brown previously served as Prime Minister between 2007 and 2010, during the height of the global financial crisis, and since leaving office had published several books on both the topic and his personal ideas about how to improve the global order. This will be the former Prime Minister’s first public event in Glasgow since appearing at the The Technology and Innovation Centre in February of this year.

The First Minister of Scotland, Humza Yousaf, is planning a visit hosted by the Glasgow University Scottish Nationalist Association (GUSNA). The appearance, as published on GUSNA leaflets, is expected to be a members-only event with details including the location are still to be announced. Humza Yousaf studied Politics at the University of Glasgow, graduating in 2007. While studying here he was elected President of the Muslim Students Association. This will be the First Minister’s first official visit back to his alma mater since he hosted a campaign event in the Glasgow University Union last semester as part of his successful bid for the leadership of the Scottish National Party.