Credit: Collage Glasgow Guardian

Humza Yousaf cancels visit to UofG after protest planned

By Odhran Gallagher

The First Minister has pulled out of an appearance at the University after it emerged that striking lecturers were planning to protest the event.

The First Minister of Scotland, Humza Yousaf, yesterday cancelled an appearance at the University with the Glasgow University Scottish National Association (GUSNA) planned for today. It later emerged that members of the Educational Institute of Scotland union were planning to protest the event in support of City of Glasgow College lecturers currently striking over pay and working conditions. 

The Glasgow Guardian has seen an appeal made in a groupchat for students to meet at Offshore cafe on Gibson street an hour before Yousaf was to speak at the Glasgow University Union to “support striking lecturers at City of Glasgow College as they demand a fair deal from the First Minister tomorrow.” The City of Glasgow College has seen an ongoing pay dispute with lecturers with strikes taking place throughout this previous month.

No official reason was given for Yousaf’s cancellation, as it was announced via GUSNA’s social media channels yesterday afternoon. The notice stated: “Unfortunately we’ve had to cancel this event due to unforeseen circumstances. So sorry to everyone who was interested, hope to see you at future events.” and it is unclear if the event will be rescheduled. This was set to be the First Minister’s first appearance back at the University since he spoke here at a campaign event last March, during his successful bid to become leader of the SNP.

Scottish Labour Executive Committee representative for Youth Labour Coll McCail took to Twitter and accused Yousaf of being a “coward”, saying that the First Minister is “hiding from lecturers facing redundancy” and accusing Minister for Further Education Graeme Day of “sticking his head in the sand”.

Jamie Fitzpatrick

Solidarity with the workers! Shame on Yousaf for hiding from those who merely want a fair deal for their hard work.