Credit: Katie McCollum

Double standard between students and staff struggling with addiction 

By Katherine McKay

The University are offering vastly more support to staff with substance misuse issues compared to students

An investigation by The Glasgow Guardian has revealed a double standard between staff and students in the University’s policy regarding substance misuse. Staff employed by the University of Glasgow are offered support “in dealing with alcohol, drugs and substance abuse problems by providing a clear procedure.” Employees have direct steps in place to seek help for such issues. Guidance distinguishes “ongoing dependency problems” from “isolated incidences.” There is no such guidance for students. 

The policy goes on to state: “The University places a high value on the health of all staff and seeks to promote the safe use of alcohol and to provide information on drug and/or substance abuse.

“The University will support staff through periods of alcohol and/or substance related sickness absence, under the normal sick pay arrangements, with the aim of securing their return to work, and will encourage rehabilitation arrangements, or other resolution as appropriate.”

The University also allows staff dealing with substance misuse to undertake treatment during working hours. 

The story for students is drastically different. As outlined in the University’s Code of Student Conduct, “Students are representatives of the University and as such are expected to behave appropriately.”

The “use or supply of drugs” is seen as a breach of this Code. This can result in suspension or expulsion from the University. For students with a professional degree, such as medicine or law, the University “will inform the relevant professional body that they consider you unfit to practise.”

In response to the accusation that staff are offered significantly more support in dealing with substance misuse than students, a spokesperson for the University told The Glasgow Guardian: “The University has a range of support for students who require health, wellbeing or counselling services. Our Counselling & Wellbeing team work closely with local NHS and third sector addiction services and will support any student experiencing addiction to ensure they can access the right help and treatment.

“In October 2023, the University added a jointly funded NHS liaison role to our Counselling & Wellbeing service, working between the University campus and the local Community Mental Health Team to improve student’s access to specialist services. 

“We are currently reviewing our Student Wellbeing policies, and we will continue to update our support for students over the come[ing] academic year.”

The Glasgow Guardian spoke to Student Representative Council member Iris Duane, who is the Vice President for student support. She said, “as a manifesto promise of mine,  as well as a subject that is very close to my heart, the current lack of formal harm reduction processes within the university fails to adequately and safely support students who are in need.

“It worries me that a need has previously been identified for staff and not students, but I am happy to see that this will soon be changing. It is imperative that students are cared for at all levels of their university career, failure to do so will leave this University not only far behind the sector but far behind the modern day.”
Any students or staff struggling with substance misuse or addiction can find advice here.