Credit: Katie McCollum

Numbers of international students fall 

By Katherine McKay

Declining numbers of international enrolments have prompted concerns about financial shortfall in British universities

The number of international students at British universities is expected to decline this semester after years of sustained growth. Home Office figures show that applications for sponsored student visas are falling significantly. This follows the previous Conservative government’s commitment to reducing the number of student visas, as well as passing legislation to ban international students from bringing dependents to the country.

The figures show that postgraduate courses are most likely to be affected by a drop in international student numbers. Data published by the University of Glasgow reveals the impact of declining international enrolments is having on the University. Between the 2022/23 and 2023/24 academic years, the number of international students compared to home students fell by 5.2%. 

In 2023, Principal of the University, Anton Muscatelli, denied that Glasgow was over-reliant on foreign students. This statement came following two academic years of the highest number of international students studying at the University in its 573 year history.

International students make up a large percentage of funding for UK universities. The fall in visa applications is expected to create financial pressures for Higher Education institutions including the University of Glasgow. 

Earlier this year, the Executive Secretary of the Committee of University Chairs told The Times that during his three decades in higher education, “senior leaders are more worried than I’ve ever seen them.

“Universities have to think hard about what they want to protect and make choices about divesting themselves of things that are not core to the institution. There will be less choice for students. A lot of institutions have introduced lots of modules so that students can pick and choose. That’s expensive, so it may be that you go back to more generic courses. Fundamentally, either you have to increase income, or you reduce quality or volume.”