Credit: Katrina Williams

Still no replacement for Muscatelli 

By Katherine McKay

A new Principal is yet to be appointed, despite the new academic year having already begun

A new Principal of the University has still to be picked nearly five months after Anton Muscatelli announced he was stepping down from his position as Principal and Vice-Chancellor of the University of Glasgow in April 2024, after 16 years in the role. In an email sent to all students in April, Elizabeth Passey, then-Convenor of the University Court, confirmed that Sir Anton Muscatelli will remain in post until the handover date in September 2025.

Having originally been expected to step down in 2024, the University Court extended his term by another year to find a replacement. Since then, The University Court has established a committee to find a successor. 

The Court Office has told The Glasgow Guardian that “the process [of appointing a new Principal and Vice-Chancellor] is ongoing at present, and we hope to make an announcement by the end of September.”

During his career, Muscatelli helped Glasgow University reach the top 80 universities worldwide, and led the University to acknowledge its role in the slave trade. However, Muscatelli’s three terms as Vice-Chancellor have not been without controversy. Most notably, he came under fire last year for the University’s shares in arms companies including BAE Systems and the Thales Group. 

The Glasgow Guardian spoke to Student Representative Council President Pablo Ruiz, who said, “I would just like to hope that they will prioritize keeping students at the heart of decision-making and focus on enhancing the student experience. I believe student voice to be central to the future direction of the University, and I am optimistic that the new Principal will understand student needs and perspectives to be integral in shaping the University’s path moving forward.”

In his resignation email, Sir Anton Muscatelli wrote, “By next year, I will have served 16 years as Principal, and I will have served over 20 years in University senior management. I feel this is the right time to finally step back from my current role, and to enable a new Principal to come forward to lead our institution through the next chapter.

“The University is in a very good place at present, both academically and financially. This is your achievement.”