Credit: Katie McCollum

University stance on divestment unclear 

By Morgan Woodfall

Plans for the University of Glasgow to divest from the arms and fossil fuel industry remain ambiguous 

On 18 June 2024, the University of Glasgow Court was unable to reach a conclusive vote regarding the University’s divestment from arms industries such as BAE Systems. During the hearing, the Court discussed proposals tabled by Glasgow Against Arms and Fossil Fuels (GAAF) demanding full divestment. 

This hearing followed a warning from the International Centre of Justice for Palestinians to the Scottish Charity Regulator concerning the University’s ownership of shares in weapons companies. This also came after pressure from Rector Dr Ghassan Abu-Sittah, whose campaign for rectorship endorsed divestment in support of the Palestinian people. 

The official University statement following the vote outlined the University’s pre-existing commitment to supporting the Middle East by awarding scholarships and fellowships to citizens of the region. The University highlighted that “one part of our fund management arrangements already excludes investments in arms.” The Glasgow Guardian also understands that the University intends to begin its full consultation in the new term. 

The statement also committed “to the rebuilding of higher education in Gaza post-conflict,” comparing future efforts to be taken in Palestine, to the scale of effort currently being undertaken in Ukraine. The Israeli army has targeted the 12 universities in Gaza during its bombing campaign, with all now damaged or destroyed. Le Monde reports that “at the beginning of January, around 75% of the enclave’s educational infrastructure had been damaged.” Up to 100 university professors and deans have also been reported dead.

A paper published on 20 July 2024 in The Lancet said that, by 19 June, a day after the Court meeting, 37,396 people had been confirmed dead in the Gaza Strip since 7 October 2023. It went on to say that, “it is not implausible to estimate that up to 186,000, or even more, deaths could be attributable to the current conflict in Gaza.” This would be between 7-9% of the total population living in the Gaza Strip.

Following the Court meeting, the Student Representative Council (SRC) criticised the University in a statement for a lack of “decisive action”, referring to the Court’s decision to delay the completion of the Socially Responsible Investment (SRI) Policy review until November at the latest. The Glasgow Guardian spoke to SRC President Pablo Ruiz, who emphasised that “the SRC has long advocated for divestment, and we will continue to hold the University accountable to aligning its investments with the values it upholds.”

He went on to say that “the inconclusive outcome of the June Court meeting was frustrating for all of us who have worked tirelessly to demand a more ethical approach to investment. The decision to delay a definitive stance until November, despite the urgent demands from students and staff was frustrating and disappointing. While I acknowledge the University’s commitment to consultation, I must emphasize that the time for decisive action is now, and I hope we can reach a decision soon. The SRC will continue to press for divestment and ensure that the voices of students are heard loud and clear in the forthcoming consultations.”

GAAF’s demands, and prior occupation of 11 University Gardens, emerged in the wider context of student protest and unrest both in Glasgow and throughout the United Kingdom. While the University of Glasgow has previously committed to gradual divestment from fossil fuels over a 10-year period, it seems as though this plan is not fast-acting enough for the demands of the Rector and much of the student body.