Bats and balls are spread across a yellow background
Credit: Katrina Siân Williams

GUSA Freshers’ Week

By Claire Thomson

Here’s your guide on how to get involved in the 50+ sporting clubs that the University of Glasgow has to offer

Freshers’ Week is all about getting involved and looking for different ways to break yourself into university life. Finding your feet in a big pond is not always the most straightforward, but when you discover something you enjoy, the whole process becomes just a little bit easier. Every year, Glasgow University’s Sporting Association, GUSA, organises a variety of events during Freshers’ Week, to allow both incoming and current students to explore the world of university sport. From the Sports Fayre to “Come and Try” taster sessions, there are many opportunities to help make that first step into university life through sport. 

In addition to the GUSA Sports Fayre that took place from 12-13 September, GUSA has organised a “Freshtival” of Sport on September 15 at Garscube Sports Complex for all incoming students. The day will be packed full of exciting activities, including bubble football, rounders, tug of war competitions, and much more. There will be the opportunity to meet other students and ask questions to club members to find the specific sport, which is just right for you. Free shuttle buses to and from campus and all student halls will be running throughout the day to ensure you don’t miss out on all the fun! If you’re still looking for an evening activity after the Freshtival of Sport, Glasgow University Union (GUU) is hosting a big GUSA Fight Night. With fights from the Boxing, Muay Thai and Taekwondo clubs, it’s not a night to miss!

Tickets for this event are free but need to be purchased beforehand.

Sport at university is a fun and easy way to build a healthy lifestyle, whilst improving your physical, mental and social wellbeing. It can provide you with so many unique opportunities and experiences to travel, meet new people, represent the university, and participate in some spectacular social events. Whether you are a complete novice, or an experienced athlete, there is something to cater for every fitness level, sporting goal and ability within the 50+ clubs that make up GUSA. There is absolutely no hiding the fact that trying something new when you don’t know anyone and are thrown in as the deep end is daunting and can be a nerve-wracking experience. But realistically, what is there to be afraid of? In your first few weeks of university, you have nothing to lose so make the most of the clean state and try everything and anything because you might fall in love with a sport you’ve never even heard of before. 

If all goes well, in those first sessions, you might have met your future flatmates, found your new favourite hobby or simply just had fun, so why not take advantage of what GUSA has to offer this year? And remember, there’s more to sport than sport!

For more information about GUSA Events during Freshers’ Week or to purchase tickets visit: https://uofgwelcome.native.fm/group/45/gusa-events